In the Murlo household, we believe cream cheese makes everything taste great!
The dough in this recipe is made with cream cheese so it’s not a surprise this rich appetizer has become one of our favorite Christmas holiday “must haves”.
8 ounces of cream cheese at room temperature
1/2 cup butter softened
1 and 1/2 Cup all purpose flour
3 Tbsp butter
1 large finely diced onion
8 ounce package of fresh mushrooms finely chopped
2 Tbsp all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dried ground thyme
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cup sour cream
1 egg beaten
1. Finely dice up the onion and mushrooms. A food processor works well.
2. In a large frying pan over medium high heat, melt the 3 Tbsp of butter.
3. Add in the onions and mushrooms cooking until the onions are translucent, approximately 10 minutes. Add in the salt, pepper and thyme.
4. Add the 2 Tbsp of flour to the sour cream and mix well. Then add mixture to the onions and mushrooms.
5. Stir until thickened then remove from heat and allow to cool.
1. Combine the first three ingredients in a mixer or food processor until the mixture comes together to form a ball. Place dough in the refrigerator for one hour.
2. Roll the dough very thin, and cut out 3 inch circles. Place a small amount of the filling in the center. Use a basting brush to dampened the edge with some egg wash, place a 3 inch piece of dough on top, pinch together then with a fork add three rows of vent holes.
3. Bake in a 450 degree Fahrenheit oven for 10 minutes.
4. These freeze really well. We often cook from frozen and adjust the baking time to 12 minutes.