Yam or Sweet Potatoes?
The terms are often used interchangeably and adds to confusion. As there are different varieties of Sweet Potatoes years ago grocery stores started to use the word Yam for the soft Sweet Potato variety.
We buy this variety of Sweet Potato. It has a copper coloured skin and a bright orange flesh. Whether it is listed as a Yam or a Sweet Potato does not change the fact that they are delicious!
sweet potatoes (1 for every two people
3- 4 Tbsp butter
3-4 Tbsp brown sugar
1. The day before your dinner peel Sweet Potatoes and chop into 1 and 1/2 inch chunks.
2. Boil Sweet Potatoes in a large pot until you can just pierce with a fork.
3. Drain and place into a casserole dish large enough so at most you have is two layers of chopped Sweet Potatoes.
4. Place dots of butter on top of the potatoes.
5. Sprinkle with brown sugar to apply an even dusting of brown sugar.
6. Place in the refrigerator.
One hour before dinner place the covered casserole dish in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Sweet Potatoes will have a caramelized coating.
Visit our Murlo Discovery Channel video: Holiday Dinner (Preparing & Hosting) for quick overview on some of the meal preparation.