We received this recipe from our a friend over 35 years ago. We’ve tried others and always come back to this one which pairs well with our soup recipes! Makes 12 biscuits.
2 Cups Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar
2 tsp Sugar
1/2 Cup Shortening
2/3 Cup Milk
1. In a large bowl mix all dry ingredients.
2. Cut shortening into the dry ingredients until you have a course mixture.
3. Mix in milk and stir to incorporate.
4. Knead about 1/2 minute to get the mixture into a ball. Do not over mix or the biscuits will be tough.
5. Roll dough to a 3/8” of an inch thickness. Using a 2.5” inch round cookie cutter, cut 12 biscuits and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
6. Bake 10 – 12 minutes at 450 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven.
Spice up your biscuits by adding some chive blossoms! Shake 4 or 5 blossoms well to remove any insects that may be hiding. Pull the petals from the blossoms and add to the dry ingredients. Complete recipe as above. Serve with some chive butter