2.5 lbs ground lean Beef
1 lb ground pork
2 Tbsp Motrin Tender Quick (curing salt)
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp fine minced dehydrated onion
4 Tbsp mustard seed
3 Tbsp maple syrup in 6 Tbsp water (basting mix)
1. In a large bowl mix ingredients until all ingredients are evenly distributed. Divide into 4 equal pieces.
2. Roll each piece into a log about 2 inches in diameter and 9-10 inches long. Be sure to press down hard to eliminate any air pockets. Roll each log into a piece of cheese cloth. This will keep the log together.
3. Coat each log with the basting mix (this cuts the bitter taste from smoking).
4. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours.
1. Next day set up your smoker. We use a Bradley electric smoker and apple or maple wood bisquettes.
2. Remove plastic wrap from the meat logs, but leave the cheese cloth on.
3. Cold smoke for 3 hours then using low heat smoke at 250 degrees Fahrenheit for 2 hours, then remove from smoker.
3. Once cool, remove the cheese cloth, wrap in plastic wrap, then wrap in foil, then place into a plastic bag and seal. This keeps the smoke smell and flavour from other items in the freezer.
No smoker? No problem!
Add 2 Tbsp of liquid smoke to the above mixture.
Bake in a preheated 250 degree fahrenheit oven for 4 hours, giving rolls a 1/4 turn every 30 – 40 minutes.
Check out our Grilling & Smoking category for more great ideas!