Murlo enjoys grilling on our outdoor Turkish grill from spring to fall. We’ve cooked many types of food on this grill including this tasty recipe we call Campfire apple pie.
There are many similar types of this recipe under many different names. This is our take on a great campfire meal using a cast iron camping sandwich toaster (see image below).
– four slices of bread
– 1 Tbsp melted butter or margarine
– 1 large apple
– 1 tbsp sugar
– 1/8th tsp cinnamon
- Peel and core an apple. Slice into 1/8th thick pieces. Toss with remaining ingredients.
- Divide ingredients to make two.
- Butter the outside of the bread – similar to a grilled cheese sandwich.
- Open the cast iron toaster and place the bread, butter side against the cast iron toaster.
- Carefully close the cast iron toaster so both pieces of bread enclose the ingredients.
- Hold the iron toaster on or near the campfire flames turning occassionally until the bread is golden brown.