Murlo enjoys grilling on our outdoor Turkish grill from spring to fall. We’ve cooked many types of food on this grill including this tasty recipe we call Campfire Pizza Sandwich.
There are many similar types of this recipe under many different names. This is our take on a great campfire meal using a cast iron camping sandwich toaster (see image below).
– two slices of bread
– butter or margarine
– sliced pepperoni (see Murlo Notes #1)
– thinly sliced mushrooms
– pizza sauce
– mozzarella cheese (see Murlo Notes #2)
1. Slice mushroom, pepperoni and grate mozzarella cheese
2. Butter what will be the outside of the bread. – similar to a grill cheese sandwich.
3. open the cast iron toaster.
4. Place the bread, butter side against the cast iron toaster
5. Spread pizza sauce on the insider of both pieces of bread.
6. Layer pepperoni, mushrooms and cheese on one of the two pieces of bread.
7. Carefully close the cast iron toaster so both pieces of bread enclose the ingredients.
8. Hold the toaster on or near the camp fire flames until the cheese is melted.
(1) Pre-cooked hamburger or bacon, or salami are other options or double up for great meat combination. Meatless is also a great alternative
(2) Use any cheese you wish or a combination of cheese that fits your taste profile!