When I was a child my grandma Zaida made amazing gingersnaps cookies. After each visit she would put these cookies in our coat pockets and this recipe is based on those cookies. Yields 60 cookies.
2 cups white sugar
1 cup shortening
3/4 cup molasses
1 tsp salt
4 tsp ground ginger
3 tsp baking soda
3 and 1/2 flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1. In a food processor cream the shortening, sugar and molasses. Mix in the eggs.
2. In a bowl mix all dry ingredients together. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the food processor.
3. Continue to mix until the ingredients come together in a ball.
4. Using two spoons or a cookie scoop, place 12, 1 inch round balls of dough on a cookie sheet. DO NOT FLATTEN.
5. Bake in a 350 degree Fahrenheit pre-heated oven for 12-14 minutes.
6. Cookies are done when the tops appear cracked.
Yields 5 dozen.