Your guests will know the moment they arrive what is cooking by the aroma of red wine and holiday spices. This classic drink recipe has been modified slightly to suit our tastes and one we are sure you will enjoy.
2 bottles red wine
1 bottle white wine
1/3 cup brown sugar, or to taste
1 (3”) piece of fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
3 cinnamon sticks
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/3 cup brown sugar to taste
1. Remove the zest from the oranges in strips, leaving the pith behind.
2. Juice the oranges into a slow cooker.
3. Pour the red and white wine into the slow cooker with the orange juice.
4. Place the strips of orange zest, ginger, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and brown sugar into the pot with the wine mixture; stir to dissolve the sugar.
5. Cover and heat over medium-high until all the ingredients are heated throughout.
6. Reduce heat to medium-low for an hour or longer bringing all the flavors together. Add more brown sugar to increase the sweetness as desired.
7. Strain and serve hot in a mug or glass.
8. Add a cinnamon stick to garnish.