We take you step-by-step on how to prepare the bird carcass, to making soup stock to making a delicious soup for the family!
You will need a large soup pot or Dutch oven. Makes 8 servings.
Turkey Stock Ingredients
1. left over turkey or chicken carcass
2. 2 celery stalks cut in 4ths
3. 1 medium onion cut in 8ths
4. 2 carrots cut each in 4ths
5. 2 bay leaves
6. 6 pepper corns
7. 1 tsp salt
Turkey Soup Ingredients
– 3 cups diced turkey meat
– 3 sliced carrots
– 1 diced stalk of celery
– salt and pepper to taste
– 10 cups turkey stock
– 1/2 cup wild rice
– 1 bay leave
1. In a soup pot or Dutch oven, place the turkey carcass including wings and leg bones along with the onion celery and carrots .
2. Cover with water and add bay leaves, salt and pepper corns.
3. Bring to a boil on medium heat, then reduce to medium low heat to simmer.
4. Simmer until the bones are falling apart and the meat has come loose. This can take 1.5 hours.
5. Strain off the liquid and allow the meat and vegetables to cool.
6. Pull off the meat and dice into small pieces. Discard the vegetables and bay leaves.
1. Place all turkey soup ingredients in a large soup pot or Dutch oven.
2. Over medium heat bring ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer.
3. Simmer for an hour.
4. Remove bay leaf and serve.
5. Freeze or refrigerate leftover soup.